Posts in the Sky

Breaking News
recent

Where is the mission?

In relation to living in a very deprived area (Glasgow Tower blocks just exude poverty) My own faith is very important to me, I find it keeps me grounded.
Where is the mission
We are surrounded by drug abuse, domestic violence and petty crime. Most people would say "Why dont you move?" Financial considerations aside I believe Im meant to be here. I have faith and with it comes ministry. Around us so many people simply shut their doors to keep the world out. I really believe that clergy fear to tread on this estate. Yet I have sat and prayed with drug addicts , convicts for murder and theft and wife beaters, yes the ones in my very own building. 

I wonder where is the mission? We are surrounded by churches, two blocks away in each direction is a catholic church, a Church of Scotland church and believe it or not a Baptist church. 

While the population within the buildings (There are four buildings each with between nineteen and twenty three floors, each with six flats in a close - do the math) is made up of exceptional diversity, there are Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus who live within this community too. But Christianity isnt exclusive. These are God's children too and the lack of visibility of their clergy and faith activity is somewhat noticeable.

While secular social activism is admirable and there is a clearly some effort to improve the conditions for specific sectors of this community, mostly making some play provision for the children, there is nothing that is completely inclusive and certainly nothing that provides for the bare bones needs of the people who live here.

This community needs a food bank of its own. It needs opportunity to earn, but most of all it needs a listening ear. Most of the people that are in my community are here as a result of life circumstances. I understand this all too well myself. I walked away from a broken relationship - with nothing and have been rebuilding my life since. Most of the people here are rebuilding their lives in some way or trying to put themselves in a place where that can happen for them. Some are refugees, some are people whose lives are the consequence of an accident of birth and other have simply given up.

So where is the mission? I do not like the Jehovahs witnesses, but I have to hand it to them. They come into my building regularly and talk to people, sure theyre evangelising , and definitely in a way that rubs me up the wrong way, but they dare to tread on the Estate.

This Estate needs a soup kitchen, a tea run, a listening ear. Help for the tired and hungry.

Its bad enough that I havent seen a community police officer in here in nearly six months, so where are the churches? 

Can someone please tell me - Where is the mission?




Ruth Richards-Hill

Ruth Richards-Hill

3 comments :

  1. I can't answer your question, I do not know the area you speak of. I do know other areas like it and like them I am guessing these blocks were built with the ideal of each being a little village. That social experiment failed badly and the price is still being paid by many of the most vulnerable in our society. It sounds to me as it you are certainly doing your part in trying to build a more cohesive community, but such work can be costly to self, especially if you are on your own in doing it. As I said I can’t answer your questions, but can I ask you a couple, please? What would you like the churches to be doing? What could the churches be doing to support you in what you are already doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a Christian has a lot to do with approachability and visibility. I have a very deep faith in collaboration with God. Churches may not have the resources of days yonder but Churches have the capacity to some extent to effect influence. I think Jesus example is very clear. We have to go out to the poor, the needy the disenfranchised, they are the ones who dont come to church.The Church must come to them.

      In my mind if one representative of every church with a mile of these blocks came once a week for an hour or two to engage with this community in a well planned and managed programme the impact would be visible very quickly.

      One of our duties as Christians is to spread the love of Jesus and the good news. I dont think knocking on the door of the tired, disillusioned and hungry and asking about whether they have a relationship with God is a good way to do this. Rather I prefer the concept of emulating Jesus. Giving a listening ear, holding the hand of a mother whose child is in hospital and she cant afford the transport to get to them, empowering the community to provide support from within itself. Sharing and caring costs very little.

      My path to Christ came through the example of another. Someone who was visibly kind caring, spoke out for those who couldnt speak for themselves, wrote letters for the illiterate, made calls for those who struggled with the language, offerd a meal to the hungry. This person displayed her faith by implementing social justice on a very basic level. She would do one thing every single day that would impact the life of a needy person positively. Thats 365 acts of directed kindness and Christian love a year. It adds up. I gave my heart and soul to Jesus not because someone told me about the hope, the joy, the forgiveness, the guidance in Christianity. I gave my heart to Jesus because I saw someone implementing it. I saw it in action, in seemingly very small ways that added up to something big.

      I would like to see these Churches come together to provide one person to come into this Estate every day to engage with anybody who needs it. To show they care. A presence that isnt just for mothers,or for children or refugees but for everyone. Simply a presence. It would be nice to see a collar every now and then too. If we had one person every day visibly practicing Christianity and not simply preaching it, the lives of people would change. A little love, care and outreach does a lot for the stress and sadness in these places.

      Arranging a space to do this is not difficult. Even getting locals to donate coffee cups and regular supplies of tea/coffe/biscuits is not difficult. We dont need leaflets through the door lauding the joy of salvation. We need to create a comfortable space where those with immensely complicated social problems can simply be. because once they can simply be, they will find themselves and experience Christs love (Even when they dont know thats what it is), even if it is only over a cup of coffee. And the church has the influence to make it happen. God will provide everything else and direct where it should go - as long as we take the time to listen.

      Delete
    2. You have a very clear vision there one I whole-heartedly agree with, leaflets and banging on about the need to be saved don't do it that is for sure. Have you spoken to your local churches, invited them to come along to a meeting to let them know how they could help? Maybe, and I know I am blowing in the wind a bit here, but maybe they want to do something but don't have your vision of what they could do. It all sounds very possible and doable. I do think we need to think before we close churches about whether the church that exists just needs to do church differently rather than forever shrinking back into the suburbs, but I am in danger of getting on one of my soapboxes. If I can do anything to support you please just ask.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.