Posts in the Sky

Breaking News
recent

Rugby in Scotland, Where my loyalties lie

RBS six nations RugbyI am a South African, with a very strong sense of Scottish association and identity. And I love Rugby.
I grew up on Rugby. I knew what a drop kick and try was before I could say those words. So I find myself living amongst a group of Rugby playing nations, and to top it all, the Penthouse suite overlooks the Warriors Stadium where, a large majority of Scottish national Rugby players seems to come from.

Often I don't have a problem with who Im supporting. When the Springboks play, I support them, When the Scots play, I support them. Now I have a new problem. I have developed a love and a relationship with Wales. because I have been developing business links with Wales and now have a little place to hole up in at Llangorse when I travel to my Cardiff office to do business, of course I find myself entwined in Welsh Rugby too.

With the most recent Six nations I found my loyalties becoming torn and of course things start becoming a bit blurred. The irony of course is that my claim to British nationality is through my English father - and I definitely don't support the lions. In fact its often whoever is playing against England that I tend to support. With one exception - Australia - Don't know why.... I just don't like those guys. Maybe it was the loss of the Scots against Australia where the game as robbed from them in the 2015 World Cup. Broke my heart.

So now the time has come to update my Rugby Jerseys. Thing is I have made the mistake of walking into a Welsh pub wearing a Scotland Jersey, although in all fairness, I have to admit that the Welsh at least are not  a bunch of violent yobs. Not with their hands anyway. I however have learnt some choice Welsh terms for supporters of the other team daring to sport their colours on Welsh ground....

The Welsh have taught me well. I wont make that mistake in Glasgow. Although I understand the relevance of colours in Glasgow It isn't quite as tricky as walking into a pub full of Celtic supporters in a Rangers shirt - something I wouldn't recommend especially in the East End. Much the same could be said for strolling down the street in Larkhall sporting a Celtic top too though....

Waiting in anticipation for the next world cup.....


Ruth Richards-Hill

Ruth Richards-Hill

Powered by Blogger.