Posts in the Sky

Breaking News
recent

The Girl with the Dragon tattoo - a great trilogy for a weekend in bed.

Most people that read (I accept that there are those that don't read) will enjoy a variety of sources for their fix. Reading is a very personal habit and tells us a lot about ourselves. I read about my interests and ideas in non fiction mostly covering creative ventures such as glass, beading, jewellery, iconography and drawing. These spill over into antiques and collectables.

However when I start reading fiction the dark side of me often comes out. I absolutely loved the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and the two sequels, The girl who played with fire and the girl who kicked the hornets nest. This trilogy is exceptionally violent but in a realistic way that enabled me to relate to my own life.


Perhaps I'm the exception, but I have seen and experienced some pretty scary stuff in my short life. Narrated as a story, I am able to understand a bit more of myself as I follow the narrative of what has happened to the young woman Lisbeth Salander, in these novels. The way in which she deals with her circumstances and develops her own strength is inspirational and provides some thought provoking material on real courage.

I'm not going to give a breakdown of the plot, You can get it by clicking on the images of the three books on this post. Whats great is that you can the books in kindle format, paperback and also hardcover.

Whats more, this is one of the rare occasions when the filmmakers have kept a storyline as close to the book as possible in all three films of the trilogy. Even if you enjoy video, I recommend reading the books first, It really enhances the visual experience of the exceptionally well made Swedish film version of the story. If you don't like subtitles sure go ahead and get the subsequent American film version, As good as it may be, I personally don't think it will compete with the Swedish original.

Those Scandinavians definitely know how to narrate a riveting story.
Ruth Richards-Hill

Ruth Richards-Hill

Powered by Blogger.