Posts in the Sky

Breaking News
recent

Life at the top

Having grown up in middle class South Africa,
I desperately felt this urge to come to the UK from the time I realised that my family's roots lay there. I remember seeing the imported sweets and items and wondering to myself "what are we doing here?"

We finally took the the leap and I returned my family to their roots. My roots are English on my Fathers side and Scots on my mothers side. My childrens father has purely Scottish roots - on both sides, and is a third generation Scottish immigrant to South Africa. (We are now divorced and have no contact)

Life passed us by and I find myself living in a three bedroom apartment at the top of one of Glasgow's (in)famous tower blocks.

It is not the nightmare that everyone makes it out to be and actually short of moving back to suburbia with a garden and a white picket fence, I am perfectly content in the Penthouse Suite.

The Lincoln buildings underwent a massive refurbishment in 2012 and are in the process of still being improved. We have the best double glazing I have ever seen in the eighteen odd years that Ive lived in the UK, the inner building is bright and clean and generally the quiet is unparalleled.

The concierge station is in our building and we are greeted by a marble effect brightly lit foyer when entering the building. Currently the lifts, which appear to be th only remaining outdated feature in the building are undergoing replacement and the lift shafts too are being completely refurbished.

Bearing in mind that we are the furtherest away from the exchange box we enjoy a healthy 70Mbs fibre optic high speed internet connection. Our electricity bill is kept down by the fact that hot air rises and we enjoy the heating that rises from the flat below us. As I write this it is mid Novemebr and we have one radiator in the home on at half release (We have a storage heater system) and it still gets too warm.

Late at night when the wind blows and the rain crashes against the windows, the household feels warm and secure and the view is utterly spectacular.

And I left the view for last because no private home in Glasgow can boast the fantastic views that I have all year round.

Our flat looks across the Clyde to the Southside and to the North and North West towards the Campsies

From the top of the staircase we can look South West toward Ayshire and its perfect spot for plane spotting.

In the summer (yes both days) the sun is warm and the balcony a fantastic space to feel the cool Scottish air in an high up quiet space that is essentially semi urban.

When times got tough, I could not have asked for a better place to live.

Ruth Richards-Hill

Ruth Richards-Hill

No comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.