Posts in the Sky

Breaking News
recent

Window shopping and relationships

Windows to the world
Have you ever looked in through a shop window from the outside and seen beautiful things? Wondered at how they were made, or where they had come from? Have you seen something through a shop window and thought "That is so beautiful, I want one too"? Well, I have. As life has passed, I have realised that the saying - all that glitters is not gold, to be true.

We often look into other peoples relationships from the outside and presume theirs is perfect. We observe couples holding hands, or being publicly affectionate. How many times have relationships broken down to the shock of friends and family, who all thought "it was perfect"?

I became a grandparent for the first time just over a year ago. It has been a roller coaster ride. My daughter fell pregnant unexpectedly. All of a sudden I was sucked into a situation where I had a constantly sick teenager. The father who subsequently became her husband was living 6000 miles away and was studying. So through most of per pregnancy I had to drop what I was doing and help her. She had emergency surgery during the pregnancy due to a mass on one of her ovaries. 

I travelled across the sea to see her married and then travelled back. And then my grandchild arrived. I didnt become a grandparent. I became a surrogate parent. I taught my daughter how to bath a baby, supported her breast feeding, helped her prepare bottles and when she went back to work gave up much of my income to support her.

It got really crazy, and caused severe financial hardship. My daughter works shifts and I could not predict my availability for clients from week to the next. Stress set in. Resentment set in. Yet from the outside we simply looked like a strong supportive loving family. 

We waited a long time for my son in laws Visa to be approved. Well it was approved last Wednesday and he will be here in two days, just over a month after his childs first birthday. This of course is a huge relief for me, as I will be able to go back to work properly. It will be better for my daughter because she will have her little family unit, back together as one unit. And my grandchild. Well yes, I can go back to being her grandmother. That in itself is a very exciting prospect.

I will have my own home back, and perhaps some order as well. I can sleep just that little bit more and get my social life back, And just to be sure, I have decided to move. Yes I am going to leave the tower block and move down, planting my feet firmly on the ground.

I am hoping to move to Brecon, close to the Cathedral where I can worship as often as I need to. And soon, I hope to be blogging from the countryside providing another window to another life.




Ruth Richards-Hill

Ruth Richards-Hill

Powered by Blogger.